Saturday, October 25, 2008

Wonderbox

This is a Wonderbox. It is a handy thing to have on hand to go with your food storage. We are all storing things like wheat and beans, but if we were ever in a crisis situation and had limited fuel for cooking, it would be hard to cook the things that take so long to cook. Like beans. Even in my pressure cooker they take an hour.

The Wonderbox is stuffed with the pellets that you find in bean bags and is a great insulator. So here is how it works. If I wanted to cook beans, I would prep them and put them in my pressure cooker. I would then bring the cooker up to pressure and then take the pan off the heat and put it in the Wonderbox. The Wonderbox holds in the heat and the beans continue to cook all day long. In 8 hours I have perfectly cooked beans having only used enough fuel (about 10 minutes worth) to bring my pressure cooker up to pressure. Cool, huh?! You can use this with any pot, but a pressure cooker comes to a boil a lot faster and holds in the heat longer.

You can find these online for over $100, but they are so simple to make. Mine cost less that $15 to make ($9 for the fabric and $6 for the pellets) and was so easy to sew up, and those of you who know me know that I am NOT a sewer. You want to use a thicker fabric. This is denim that I bought at Wal-Mart off the bolt but you could also use flannel. The denim was about $3/yard and it takes 2.5 yards.

Anyways, I just had to share. I think this is really cool! And it is even cooler that I made it myself!


Here is the whole Wonderbox.




It has the base and a lid. Both full of the bean bag pellets.



The pressure cooker fits inside like this and then I put the top on to create the full insulation.



This is what the bottom looks like empty (not holding the pressure cooker).

No comments: