Apples, Apples, Apples...all I see, think about and dream about are apples! We picked apples last week and when we got home I was so sad to not get more. It seemed like we hardly got any at all before the kids got tired and it got dark. "Oh well," I thought, "we will just do what we can with what we got...anything is better than nothing."
We started making applesauce on Saturday. I have never made applesauce before. I knew it would be easy, what I didn't know was that it would take SOOOOO... long. Peeling/coring. Cooking. Grinding up. Bottling. Processing. The process seemed endless. Finally we made it to the end of the day with 35 quarts completed. But only about 1/3 of the apples used!
Marsh & the boys peeling/coring. I am so glad for my Pampered Chef Apple peeler/corer/slicer. We could NOT have done all of this by hand!
Saturday's applesauce.
On Monday I couldn't stand the thought of doing applesauce again. Especially since Marshyl was at work. So I decided that pie filling sounded a little quicker. And it was. I didn't have to cook the apples first, I just had to peel/core them, cut them up and put them in the jars. Then pour the sugary sauce over them and process. By about 2PM I had run out of rings for the jars and we had 35 quarts of pie filling done. Sounds like a good day's work and I stopped. Maybe I had gone through another 1/3 of the apples.
Monday's pie filling.
How much pie filling can one family use, right? So back to applesauce it is. Tuesday I decided that it had to be the VERY last day of these apples. I didn't care if it took me until midnight, I wasn't going to stop until every last apple was in a jar. I realized that using the blender instead of the hand held blender to puree the apples was a lot quicker. Things moved so much faster than they had on Saturday. Kaiden & Nic did the peeling/coring and I did the rest. And then I ran out of jars. We had really used every empty jar that we had in this house...and we still hadn't run out of apples! Well, enough is enough. I had 42 more quarts of applesauce and that was enough. I still had about 1/2 a bushel of apples left, but my friend across the street was happy to take them off my hands.
Tuesday's applesauce.
I am so glad to be done. Final count: 77 quarts of applesauce, and 31 quarts of pie filling (4 didn't seal, so we had apple crisp for FHE treat on Monday!)
We started making applesauce on Saturday. I have never made applesauce before. I knew it would be easy, what I didn't know was that it would take SOOOOO... long. Peeling/coring. Cooking. Grinding up. Bottling. Processing. The process seemed endless. Finally we made it to the end of the day with 35 quarts completed. But only about 1/3 of the apples used!
Marsh & the boys peeling/coring. I am so glad for my Pampered Chef Apple peeler/corer/slicer. We could NOT have done all of this by hand!
Saturday's applesauce.On Monday I couldn't stand the thought of doing applesauce again. Especially since Marshyl was at work. So I decided that pie filling sounded a little quicker. And it was. I didn't have to cook the apples first, I just had to peel/core them, cut them up and put them in the jars. Then pour the sugary sauce over them and process. By about 2PM I had run out of rings for the jars and we had 35 quarts of pie filling done. Sounds like a good day's work and I stopped. Maybe I had gone through another 1/3 of the apples.
Monday's pie filling.How much pie filling can one family use, right? So back to applesauce it is. Tuesday I decided that it had to be the VERY last day of these apples. I didn't care if it took me until midnight, I wasn't going to stop until every last apple was in a jar. I realized that using the blender instead of the hand held blender to puree the apples was a lot quicker. Things moved so much faster than they had on Saturday. Kaiden & Nic did the peeling/coring and I did the rest. And then I ran out of jars. We had really used every empty jar that we had in this house...and we still hadn't run out of apples! Well, enough is enough. I had 42 more quarts of applesauce and that was enough. I still had about 1/2 a bushel of apples left, but my friend across the street was happy to take them off my hands.
Tuesday's applesauce.I am so glad to be done. Final count: 77 quarts of applesauce, and 31 quarts of pie filling (4 didn't seal, so we had apple crisp for FHE treat on Monday!)
1 comment:
yummy. I miss the homemade pie filling my mom used to make, the store bought stuff just doesn't taste as good.
Post a Comment