Friday, April 8, 2011

Pantry Meals: Wheat Bread

I often make my own bread.   Bread will be an important part of my short term and long term food storage.  With teenage boys that are trying their hardest to eat us out of house and home, we have to have SOMETHING to fill them up!  I have planned on having either wheat bread or corn bread with each of our pantry meals.  I plan to make bread every 4 days.  My recipe makes 4 loaves.  And I plan to make a 9x13 pan of cornbread 4 times a week.  (I know that equals 8, but you never know when some extra bread will come in handy!)

I think that I will keep everything to make bread (except the wheat, that is in large buckets or cans under my bed) in a Rubbermaid tote, so that it is all together. 

Here is what we have to have to make bread:



Bread
4 loaves


X 23
containers


instant yeast
3 Tb.
69 Tb.
(1 oz = 2 tbsp.)
3 lbs.


wheat (then ground into flour)
9 c.
207 c.

18-#10 cans


apple cider vinegar
2 Tb.
46 Tb.
(1 qt. = 64 Tb.)
        1 qt.


salt
1 Tb.
23 Tb.
(1.88 c./lb.
& 16 Tb. in a cup)
 1 lb.


gluten
1/2 c.
11.5 c.
(5 c. / 27 oz. can)
3 cans


sugar
3/4 c.
17.25 c.

2 - #10 can


oil
1/2 c.
11.5 c.
(1 qt = 4 c)
3 qts.

No comments: