Corn bread recipe:
3 c. flour
1.5 c. corn meal
1/4 c. sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs (or the equivalent of powdered eggs and water)
1/2 c. powdered milk (reconstituted with 2 c. water to make 2 c. milk)
1/2 c. oil
Combine the first 5 ingredients. Add the milk, eggs and oil and mix until moistened. Pour batter into a greased 9x13 pan and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
I will be honest. I haven't made it yet with powdered eggs. I hope to try it out soon and I am crossing my fingers that it works!
We like white flour for our cornbread. We have tried it with wheat and no one (including me!) will eat it. Sorry, there are just some things that you have to have white flour for! And instead of storing corn meal, we store popcorn which can be quickly and easily ground into corn meal in our wheat grinder.
***UPDATE: My friend, Andrea, made this tonight and used powdered eggs, powdered milk, and powdered shortening instead of oil (I didn't even know there was such a thing!). She combined all of the dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, powdered egg, powdered milk and the powdered shortening) and then added the water need to reconstitute the powdered things. She said it turned out GREAT!
***From my Aunt Karen: (I can't wait to try this!!!) "Jen, I saw an awesome idea for cooking cornbread in a hurry and it works really well. Heat up your waffle iron and pour some batter on it. In the recipe I saw they then layered beans, hamburger, lettuce, cheese, sour cream and salsa kind of like a Navajo Taco. We have used this method several times when we didn't want to heat up the house or just wanted it quick." --Aunt Karen
To make cornbread for our 3 months of meals we need:
Cornbread (9x13 pan) (4x/wk) | X48 | containers | |||
Flour | 3 c. | 144 c. | 12 - #10 cans | ||
Cornmeal | 1.5 c. | 72 c. (3.25 c./lb) | 23 lb. | ||
Sugar | 1/4 c. | 12 c. | 1 - #10 can | ||
Baking powder | 4 tsp. | 192 tsp. = 64 Tbsp. | 4 lbs. | ||
Salt | 1/2 tsp. | 24 tsp. = 8 Tbsp. | 1 lb. (30 Tbsp./lb.) | ||
Powdered milk | 1/2 c. | 24 c. | 2 - #10 cans | ||
Eggs | 2 | 96 (Honeyville #10 can = 80 eggs) | 2 cans | ||
Oil | 1/2 c. | 24 c. | 6 qts. |
1 comment:
Okay, so I noticed your FB posts about pantry meals and totally meant to check out your blog, but didn't get around to it. Until today when I got called to the RS Presidency and we have a BBQ coming up this Summer that we're going to try and do with only food storage items, and methods of cooking without power. I though how cool would pantry meals be to do? So I'm scrolling through your blog and I need to know more!
Post a Comment